Asking how “happy” someone is might be a good starting point in a one-on-one meeting, but it might not provide enough insights for you, as a leader, to act on. Researchers have been suggesting a more team-oriented and objective approach, where the questions you bring to the table can be more insightful, measurable, and human-centric. That model could work on good and bad days, with introspective and outgoing coworkers.
We outlined below a few morale questions you can use right now in your team. We’d be grateful if you could give those a shot and share your experience in the comments section below.
Quantitative + qualitative
The ones below can be used both in a quantitative (from 1-5, how could someone answer those) and qualitative (why the score?) approach. Software such as Teamworki’s morale feature can automate those questions by sending one (or more) at a time to your team, by Slack and/or email notifications. They can be a great input for your next one-on-one meeting.
- How aligned do you feel regarding our sprint/monthly/quarterly goal? (you choose)
- How confident do you feel regarding our sprint/monthly/quarterly goal? (you choose)
- How transparent is your workplace?
- How optimistic do you feel today about your goals?
- How available are your coworkers/leadership/stakeholders to help and unblock you?
If you are taking the time to meet with a coworker in a one-on-one session (we hope you are!), the questions below are broader and can give you insights that wouldn’t be uncovered without human interaction. Those can be a great input for your next team retrospective. Software such as Teamworki’s one on ones allows you to plan your meeting collaboratively and take action on the items discussed.
- In retrospect, what was the highlight of last week and why?
- What did you learn last week and why was it important for you?
- What is your number one objective in the next week?
- What is working well on the team?
- What could be improved on the team?
Looking for a product that can save you time when collecting all that data and make your meetings more effective? Sign up for Teamworki below. It’s free.